I’d like to welcome all our members to the September Field Day, the second of our season. It will include a BBQ, gluten free sausages will be available. It would be great if you would bring along some other food to share as well.
The programme for the day is focusing on Varroa mite.
How do you detect evidence of an infestation in your hive before it’s too late?
There will be demonstrations and practical participation to help you learn the skills you need to stop varroa in its tracks.
- varroa checks by sugar shakes, alcohol wash, sticky boards (and how to make them) and how to spot varroa on your bees or evidence that your hive has been infested.
- treatment options will be discussed
- we will be opening all the hives – weather permitting
- we will also be checking for diseases
- checking all frames for the season ahead and replacing frames to give the bees a clean foundation to build on and allow space for food and brood
- we will have reminders of how to clean your tools and also how to light a smoker so it will stay working while you are in the hive.
It will be great to see old and new members down at the site on Saturday. Early birds (9.30) to help out onsite.
2 thoughts on “Field Day 3rd September”
I capture swarms on behalf of people. If you need a swarm please contact me speech or text
Jeff Chandler 0223064250. firstname.lastname@example.org
I will need your email address to send information
Swarm page https://chchbeekeepers.org.nz/swarm/